Friday, January 09, 2009

A Cat-astic Birthday

On my 6th birthday, my mom and dad got me a cat. I named him Gizmo (after the classic movie, the Gremlins). This birthday gift spurred on a slight obsession with cats. Suddenly, everything was about cats. My peach and blue room (don't you love the 80's?) was covered in cat paraphernalia including a conglomerate of fabulous kitty posters, stuffed animals that overflowed off of my bed (and the net hanging from the ceiling in the corner), small porcelain figurines, and even some classy cat wallpaper.

A few weeks ago, I went back to my parent's house, and was sorting through some old boxes, when I ran across my collection of cats. Of course, I thought it would be a great idea to introduce my roommate to the wonders of the cat. I am pretty sure she likes cats about as much as a visit to the dentist. So, one afternoon I spent some time plastering her bathroom with my old cat posters. Just imagine walking into a small room with dozens of eyes staring back at you...cats peeking behind books, cats "hanging in there", cats in bow-ties...it really was a 'purrfect' prank. (Yeah, I know, that was really bad.) I also managed to arrange some miniature porcelain cat figurines throughout her room. These miniatures are of course dressed in Victorian clothing, very becoming of a cat.

My roommate took my little joke in stride, although I think the cats lasted a good 5 minutes before they were all removed quickly from the walls.

This instance was not quickly forgotten however, and much too my surprise, I found another repeat of a cat birthday this year. Megan planned a fabulous birthday get-together for me, letting me know that the 'theme' of the party was a surprise. The theme, as you have probably already guessed, was "A Cat-tastic Birthday". So, I received a great variety of cat items, my favorite being a vest covered entirely with cats.

I have a great roommate. I don't think that I have laughed so hard in a long time. You can see below the great variety of gifts I got with a cat theme.




As you can see, I received everything from the lovely vest, to a hot pink sweatshirt, a book about a cat named Dewey, Hello Kitty Underwear, a porcelain cat, some wine called "Herding Cats", and a mouse pad with a frog on it (Eric was a little confused.)



My friend Margaret from my church...notice the amazing vest! If you have any suggestions for where I should wear this next, please, send them my way!



Me and and Libby! She brought the book about Dewey-the small town library cat that changed the world.



Eric, friend from Baylor, brought the 'herding cats' wine, classy!

3 comments:

Randy y Dani said...

You should wear the vest everywhere! Especially to formal dress situations, like weddings. And since your roommate loves cats so much, you should also wear it around the house. Maybe when you are not wearing it, it could somehow hang on the wall under the Velvet Elaine, so she can model it when you are not.

And you should wear it when you go to the dentist. That ought to make already awkward conversations go over the edge.

Leslie said...

I never get invited to the GOOD parties! :) I have never met your roomie, but I love her already. My kind of girl. And Eric! Such a grownup, short hair, bringing wine to parties and such. And cat wine at that!

jkirksey said...

Wow Missy sounds like your Birthday was the Cat's Meow! Very fun! I think that you should take a venture back to the 80's with that cat vest and wear it to the gym with some great kitty leg warmers... just a thought.

Hope you are doing well! We miss you!! Great to see Piper. What's he up to these days?

Drop us a line sometime! Campbell is 6 months old tomorrow! Where did the time go.

-Jeff