Saturday, November 17, 2007

Shoot the bear

A beautiful mountain setting, a perfect spring day. A crystal blue mountain lake sits in a quiet valley surrounded by towering peaks just tipped with snow. Alone in the middle of the lake is an old wooden boat with a small girl inside, lying down, soaking in the beauty and goodness of God, her hand in the water leaving a slight ripple, the only movement in the silent waters.

But suddenly the calm is broken, as someone comes running into the scene, a wild bear chasing after her. The girl sitting up, realizes that with the quick movement and a few swift rows with her oar, could save the life of this stranger. She could move to the rescue, the girl could jump in the boat and be saved. But as she picks up the oars, she realizes that she cannot stir the water, she cannot put the oar in the water, she selfishly doesn't want to interrupt her peace and quiet.

I am a peacemaker. I love it when people can find common ground. I like it when things are harmonious. Conflict leaves me feeling sick inside, unable to sleep, and overall just uncomfortable.

But this is my fear. That I am too afraid to stir the waters, to take a stand, to shout, to make a movement. Not even that I need to be rescuing anyone. But is peace always the best solution? Can a win-win situation really be created all the time, or is that just a person without passion, without a spine?

I mean really, in the end, the girl and the bear will come barreling into the water anyway, the waters will be disturbed, or the bear will prevail.

Take a stand, be angry, do something more than think or be afraid. Take action. Create conflict.

Shoot the bear.

3 comments:

nate and lissa said...

I like it...shoot the bear! It's scary...and really uncomfortable..probably takes practice. Are you going to get the bear with just one shot?

I too am a peacemaker and I struggle with the similar thought of not wanting to stir up any conflict even if it needs to be stirred. You have inspired me!
Perhaps I need to practice critical thinking...and voice opposing thoughts...mm..

The Butlers said...

Probably the goal here would be the classic "win-win-win" (crossing my fingers you saw this Office episode)...shooting the bear works too.

One of the great things about you is that you do have a spine but are not a premature bear shooter. You seem only to shoot when shooting in necessary.

That being said, I'm sorry if there is a need for a gun in your life...and a bear for that matter. I would like to nominate you as the President of the "Anti-Conflict Club"...A/C if you will. But, only if I can join. Procrastinating myself out of any potential conflicting situation is like a sport to me. It would be a great club, but we would strive to be more healthy and, as Lissa says, "voice opposing thoughts". In fact, our motto would be "Shoot The Bear"!

RAJESH B KUKREJA said...

I like it...shoot the bear! It's scary...and really uncomfortable..probably takes practice. Are you going to get the bear with just one shot?

I too am a peacemaker and I struggle with the similar thought of not wanting to stir up any conflict even if it needs to be stirred. You have inspired me!
Perhaps I need to practice critical thinking...and voice opposing thoughts...mm..