Monday, August 04, 2008

Service Reflection

I had the opportunity to write something for a service reflection journal at Baylor, so I thought I'd share part of it here:

Losing Control

I have a love-hate relationship with service projects.

There is nothing that I love more than helping other people engage in meaningful service. I cannot think of anything better than watching new college students experience the uncomfortable reality of interacting with someone who looks so unlike them. I cannot help but smile when I think about the significant ways that service not only meets a specific need in a community, but also the impact it has on the individual doing it. In my opinion, there is no better way to bring a group or team together, then by serving.

But I hate the details of coming up with the right project. I hate organizing service so that people have enough to do, and trying to figure out how to get supplies, donations, tools, and some sense of purpose defined for the project. And my stress level only increases as the number of participants in the service project goes up.

I think I am missing the point here. Should planning a service project really be this difficult? Is this really the intent for why I think service matters?

The problem here is me. My perspective is off. Service projects can be difficult to organize, tedious to coordinate, seem like just another task to mark off my list. But, the motivation that pushes me to plan and serve should not be about finding the ideal project. It should not be about making things work out perfectly so that those who are involved are not hassled, are not uncomfortable, that they do not experience any sort of aggravation in joining in on the service.

Service is not only about action; service is about surrender. Surrender for those who are participants, but more so, surrender to those of us who plan these projects for others. It is releasing the idea that we need to have every box checked, and every detail planned in order for the day to be a success. Some of the most beautiful interactions happen as students are thrown into an uncomfortable place where they are required to take initiative, be creative, and ultimately serve in a way that is really utilizing their gifts.

No comments: